Prescription for a Great LifeWhen we opened CrossFit Proverb, our purpose wasn’t about producing elite athletes to compete at the CrossFit Games.And it still isn’t.Yes, we want you improving your fitness and hitting PRs regularly, but our mission is so much bigger than that.Our intention has, and always will be, to help others achieve lifelong fitness. To help the 40-year-old feel confident and fit enough to join a basketball league. Or to help the overweight woman in her 50s get to a point that carrying four bags of groceries up three flights of stairs is no big deal. And to help the 65-year-old improve her fitness so she can go on a 4-hour hike with her grandchildren, or move a couch with her husband.Fitness was never supposed to be about how much you could clean and jerk, per se; it’s about helping ordinary people gain fitness, eat well, and become healthier.
This means our hope for all of you is that fitness doesn’t take over your life. We hope it has become an important part of your life, but that you also take the time to appreciate your newfound fitness IN LIFE.Here are the 5 things that we think if you do then your life will be the best it has ever been.Prescription for a Great Life1. Follow the Code for Fitness 2 to 3 times a week:Show up to the gym 2 or 3 (or maybe even 4 or 5 times a week if it works for your life). Train with your coach or attend group classes to improve your flexibility, strength, speed, power, cardiovascular endurance, stamina, accuracy, balance, coordination and agility.Keep track of your numbers, know your strengths and weaknesses, socialize with those around you, have fun and celebrate your gains.
2. Clean Eating (90% of the time):Although diets will differ from person to person depending on your wants and needs, we believe for optimal health, your diet should consist mostly of whole, unprocessed foods—90% of the time. The other 10% simply means it’s OK—emotionally healthy even—to have a beer or a piece of cake from time to time.3. Play SportsJoin a hockey or basketball league in the winter, or a beach volleyball team in the summer: The important thing is to put your fitness to use. You work hard in the gym; playing sports is your chance to enjoy your newfound fitness.And if you’re feeling bold, try new sports when the opportunity arrises—be it golf, tennis or surfing.
4. Get out in Nature at Least Once a WeekBreathing fresh air in nature is known to be therapeutic to the soul. Rock climbing, hiking, camping, skiing or surfing are all great options.5. Embark on an Adventure at Least Once a YearDoes adventure to you mean doing something relaxing and fun, or something scary and challenging?Choose your own adventure, but definitely choose adventure!