In 2020 you can not seem to get away from all things Covid-19. It seems like everyone has their input on what you should be doing to protect yourself from covid; masks, social distancing, curfews, etc. What about all the information on how to strengthen your immune system? You know the thing that has allowed humans to survive for the last unknown amount of time... Here are some simple ways to strengthen your immune system and kick Covid in the a**.
- Vitamin D- If you are not getting at least 15-20 minutes of sun exposure per day, you should be supplementing. Talk with your doctor first, but normally around 5000-10000 DUs per Day is a good dose. "Over 80 percent of 200 COVID-19 patients in a hospital in Spain have vitamin D deficiency, according to a new study published in the Endocrine Society’s Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism."
- Vitamin C- Vitamin C is key in a healthy immune system. This can be found through whole nutrient-dense foods such as fruits and veggies. "Vitamin C is found in citrus fruits, berries, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, broccoli and spinach. Vitamin C is also available as an oral supplement, typically in the form of capsules and chewable tablets."
- Adequate Sleep- I am sure you have seen those people that wear lack of sleep as a badge of honor. Well, sleep is one of the biggest contributors to a healthy immune system. 7-9 hrs per night is optimal and even 1 night of fewer than 6 hrs of sleep can decrease a person's immune system by 30%. "Yes, lack of sleep can affect your immune system. Studies show that people who don't get quality sleep or enough sleep are more likely to get sick after being exposed to a virus, such as a common cold virus. Lack of sleep can also affect how fast you recover if you do get sick."
- Exercise Regularly- Don't take my word for it... "The benefits of exercise—regular and at appropriate intensity levels—for the immune system in respiratory infections such as COVID-19 include increased immunovigilance and improved immune competence, which help in the control of pathogens, a fact that becomes more important considering the immunosenescence and susceptibility of the elderly population to severe infection. Other favorable effects in relation to host factors, such as prevention or reduction of overweight, increased physical and cardiopulmonary conditioning, attenuation of the systemic pro-inflammatory and pro-thrombotic states, decrease in oxidative stress, improvements in glycemic, insulinic and lipidic metabolisms, besides the enhancement of the vaccination response, also indicate how adequately physical activity can help the organism’s immune response against COVID-19." - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7387807/
- Limit processed foods and alcohol- Only in America do we close gyms, but make sure you can still get that big Mac from Mcdonalds... I was once told that if you put crap into your body, your body will perform like crap. I feel that the same analogy applies to your immune system. If you fill your body with foods and drinks that are not optimal you will get a suboptimal result. Eating nutrient-dense whole foods will help to strengthen your immune system and provide your body with what it needs to be at its best.
Contrary to what the media will tell you, the battle between viruses and the human body will go on forever. Covid 19 is just one of the many trials we will have in our life. We can live a life that will hedge our bet of survival or we can continue to live a life of fast food, late nights, and hope that the fabric sheet we put over our faces is enough to keep us safe...